Services for Students with Disabilities, a Physical or Mental Health Condition and/or a Specific Learning Difficulty
Fund for Students with Disabilities
The Higher Education Authority (HEA) Fund for Students with Disabilities aims to assist students with disabilities and specific learning difficulties to participate in Further Education. It provides grants towards the provision of services and the purchase of equipment for students with disabilities attending courses in the Institute.
It is funded by the Irish Government and part funded by the European Social Fund under the Human Capital Investment Operational Programme.
For further information please click and download: Information for Students with Disabilities, Physical and Mental Health Conditions and/or Specific Learning Difficulties.
It is essential that you read this information before filling in the supplementary application form.
Assistance at Advisory Meeting
Applicants who require special assistance (eg, a sign language interpreter, personal assistant etc.) when attending a personal advisory meeting in the Institute, are requested to provide their own assistance if possible. If this is not possible, then applicants should contact the Institute's Disability Advisors (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01 288 9717), at least two weeks prior to the advisory meeting, to allow the Institute to make appropriate arrangements for this assistance. It may take some time to make special arrangements. It is important to note that if the applicant is unable to attend the advisory meeting at the time scheduled, that adequate cancellation notice (one week's notice) is given to avoid the Institute incurring unnecessary costs.
Assistance while Studying
Applicants who are offered a place on a course in the Institute may need supports in order to assist them with their studies. The kind of supports needed may vary from person to person but can include the following:
- use of a laptop and/or other special assistive technology
- additional learning support either 1:1 or in small groups
- a personal assistant to help in class or around the Institute
- transport e.g. a taxi
- use of a notetaker
- use of a sign language interpreter
- a reader for exams
- a scribe for exams
To contact the Disability Advisors: email email@example.com, or phone the Institute on 01 288 9717
The Association for Higher Education Access and Disability (AHEAD)
- AHEAD has some good publications such as 'Assessing Third Level Education In Ireland', a handbook for students with disabilities and learning difficulties. Another useful publication is 'A Guide to Funding for People with Disabilities in Mainstream Vocational Training'.
- Tel: 01 716 4396
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dyslexia Association of Ireland
- Association for Adults and Children with specific learning difficulties
- Tel: 01 877 6001
- Email: email@example.com
- Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
- Tel: 01 817 5700
- Minicom: 01(817 5777)
- Text messages: 087 922 1046
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org