Are you curious about how everyday objects are designed and made? Are you inventive and enjoy problem solving? Are you interested in making functional objects beautiful? Product design involves the design of an object from concept stage to design development employing graphics and model making.
This course places a strong emphasis on the design process, and combines creative ability with technical skills. It is based on project work with an emphasis on learning by doing. The work produced will be presented as a portfolio to enable you to progress onto further studies or employment in the design field.
What will I study?
The following modules are studied on the course:
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
Assessment and Certification
- This course is certified by QQI.
- Assessment is based on a combination of studio projects and assignments submitted throughout the year.
- Learners will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Design (5M2208).
As a graduate of this course, you can pursue careers in a range of areas including:
- Industrial Design
- Set Design
- Product Design
- Graphic Design
If you want to get a degree, then you can apply through the CAO system for entry into courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BSc (Hons) Product Design, Technological University Dublin [City] - www.tudublin.ie
- BA (Hons) Product Design, National College of Art & Design - www.ncad.ie *
- BA Industrial Design or BA (Hons) Product Design Innovation, Technological University Dublin [City] - www.tudublin.ie
- BSc (Hons) Product Design, South East Technological University [Carlow] - www.setu.ie
*Leaving Certificate Mathematics is a pre-requisite
Check out more progression options by downloading the BFEI Progression Pathways Chart at www.bfei.ie