Over the Counter Pharmacy Assistant - Dublin
At BFEI, located in Blackrock, Co.Dublin we offer a one year QQI Level 5 Over the Counter Pharmacy Assistant course.
Would you enjoy being at the front-end of pharmacies, interacting with people, giving advice on over-the-counter medicines, and healthcare products? Would you like to acquire skills in customer service and retail selling? Could you see yourself advising on beauty and make-up products? There are many new job opportunities in the expanding retail pharmacy sector, and with these qualifications you will be well placed to gain full-time employment and advance your career. Over 85% of course graduates have secured employment in pharmacies.
Assessment and Certification
IPU Medicines Counter Assistant Course is certified by the IPU. The IPU exam takes place in April/May.
The IPU MCA Course has recently achieved ATHE Endorsed Standard of Education and Assessment. ATHE (Awards for Training and Higher Education) is an Ofqual regulated Awarding Body credited by a regulated Awarding Body and is recognised in 40 countries worldwide. A learner's benefit in achieving the IPU MCA Endorsed Certificate is higher employability and recognised portable skills.
The remaining subjects are certified by QQI.
Assessment is based on a combination of work submitted during the year and exams.
- Learners who successfully pass all 8 QQI subjects will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468).
More Level 5 Courses at BFEI
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
What Will I Study?
IPU Medicines Counter Assistant Certificate
QQI Certificate in Community Health Services
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Retail Selling
- Reception and Frontline Skills
- Word Processing
- Safety and Health at Work
- Customer Service
- Work Experience
What Will I Do?
- You will also be given the opportunity to complete Manual Handling Training which is an essential qualification to work in a Pharmacy.
- Career advice and help with CV preparation is provided by the Guidance and Career Service.
As a graduate of this course, you can pursue careers in a range of areas including:
Department Stores – Cosmetic Sales & Skincare Advisor
Healthcare Sales Representatives
Reception in Healthcare Field
Once you gain employment in a pharmacy, you can apply to study for the:
- Diploma in Pharmacy Services Skills Irish Pharmacy Union – www.ipu.ie
If you want to get a degree, then you can apply through the CAO system for entry into courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BSc Social Sciences, University College Dublin - www.ucd.ie
- BSc Pharmaceutical Science, Technological University Dublin [Tallaght] - www.tudublin.ie
- BSc (Hons) Pharmaceutical Science, Waterford Institute of Technology - www.wit.ie
- Higher Certificate Pharmacy Technician Studies, Technological University Dublin [City] - www.tudublin.ie
- Higher Certificate in Science - Pharmacy Technician Studies, Carlow Institute of Technology – www.itcarlow.ie
Check out the updated BFEI CAO Progression Pathways Chart with new progression options included for TCD, NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick. CAO data shows that many BFEI graduates from 2020/2021 secured excellent CAO offers.
At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, exams, a Student Services fee and where applicable professional body registration fees. There are no tuition fees for EU students.
Students will be required to purchase certain items including a uniform and product kits.