Pre-Paramedic Fire and Ambulance Course - Dublin
At BFEI, located in Blackrock village, Co.Dublin we offer a one year QQI Level 5 Pre-Paramedic Fire and Ambulance course.
Can you see yourself as a Firefighter, Paramedic, or working in the emergency services? Are you calm, work well under pressure and have a desire to help people? Do you want to work in a caring environment? Are you currently a member of the many volunteer organisations and enjoy the experience? Or would you like to progress to study for a degree? Yes?
Is this course for you?
If you want an exciting and challenging practical course that can lead to a career in the emergency services, this course is for you.
What will I study?
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Safety & Health at Work
- Exercise and Fitness
- Emergency Department Care Skills and First Aid Responder (FAR)
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) Courses Training:
- Fire Warden (Fire Safety and Fire Extinguisher Training)
- Breathing Apparatus
- Hazardous Substances
- Manual Handling and Patient Handling
- Emergency First Response (EFR) incorporating Defibrillator Training
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Training Courses are delivered in conjunction with an external provider, currently the Emergency Services Training Institute and take place during term breaks. The optional training* EMT course will incur additional costs and starts in June with final exams in September/October.
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
Before starting the course, it is advisable to become a member of one of the voluntary organisations such as The Order of Malta, St. John Ambulance or The Civil Defence. You should work towards obtaining a Driving Licence as this will enhance your employment prospects.
Assessment and Certification
- Learners who successfully pass all 8 subjects will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468).
- Assessment is based on a combination of work submitted during the year and exams.
- Pre-hospital care courses are certified by the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) and delivered by PHECC recognised institutes and tutors.
- Training Courses are delivered in conjunction with an external provider, currently the Emergency Services Training Institute and take place during term breaks. The optional training* EMT course will incur additional costs and starts in June with final exams in September/October.
More Level 5 Courses at BFEI
Graduates are pursuing careers in a range of areas including:
- Dublin Fire Brigade
- HSE Ambulance Service
- Private Ambulance Services
- Dublin Airport Fire Service
- Diageo Fire Service
- Event Medics
- London Ambulance Service NHS
- Care/Nursing Homes
* The HSE last intake of recruites recognised the BFEI Level 5 course as the equivalent of 2 years full-time Ambulance Service experience at EMT Level.
Companies who have hired BFEI graduates include:
If you want to get a degree, then this course opens up a range of progression routes both in the UK and in Ireland.
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science, Anglia Ruskin University London (Cambridge and Chelmsford) - www.anglia.ac.uk/fms
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science & Out of Hospital Care, University of Sunderland - www.sunderland.ac.uk
You may also apply through the CAO system for entry into degree courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BA Applied Social Studies in Social Care, Technological University Dublin [Blanchardstown] - www.tudublin.ie
- BA (Hons) in Sports Science & Health, Technological University Dublin [Tallaght] - www.tudublin.ie
Check out more progression options by downloading the BFEI Progression Pathways Chart at www.bfei.ie