Applied Psychology Course - Dublin
At BFEI, located in Blackrock village, Co.Dublin we offer a one year QQI Level 5 Applied Psychology course.
Are you curious about people and what motivates them? Do you have an interest in Psychology and would you like to gain knowledge and understanding of this area? Are you interested in applying psychology theories to areas of management and business? Or would you like to progress to study for a degree? Yes? Then consider studying for this QQI Level 5 qualification at BFEI and take your first steps to advance in this fascinating area.
The course content covers subjects essential to those seeking to progress to further studies or to apply psychology theories to areas of management and business.
This QQI Level 5 Certificate has progression links to Level 8 PSI (The Psychological Society of Ireland) accredited courses.
Assessment and Certification
- This course is certified by QQI.
- Assessment is based on a combination of work submitted during the year and exams.
- Learners who successfully complete all 8 subjects will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Award in Community Health Services (5M4468).
More Level 5 Courses at BFEI
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
What Will I Study?
The following modules are covered as part of the programme
What Will I Do?
- Study Skills
- Career Advice and CV Preparation
- Visit to the Central Criminal Court
- Attend a Forensic Science Workshop
The course content contains subjects essential to those seeking to progress in the area academically or to apply psychology theories to areas of management and business.
Training in psychology can provide many useful skills and qualities including:
- Social skills - teamwork, negotiation skills, initiative, ability to deal with people, conflict management
- Information gathering – literature searches, report writing, interviewing, designing surveys
- Analysis and synthesis skills – editing and synthesising information from a variety of sources, reading critically
- Project planning – identifying steps, resources, solving problems, dependability, initiative and being able to work on several tasks at once, time management
- Knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of people – cognitive, perceptual, physical, emotional, social, development, personality
- Numerical, IT, statistical and inferential skills, analysis and presentation
- Oral and written communication skills, listening, speaking etc.
Student with level 5 may be eligible for roles in social care, health care, community support, information officer, youth work, marketing, fundraising and will have developed skills useful to careers in Human Resources, Marketing and Public relations.
If you want a degree, then you can also apply through the CAO system for entry into degree courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BSc Psychology or BSc Social Sciences, University College Dublin – www.ucd.ie
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Psychology (PSI Accredited), IADT, Dún Laoghaire - www.iadt.ie
- BA (Hons) in Psychology * or BA Applied Social Studies in Social Care**, Waterford Institute of Technology – www.wit.ie
- BA (Hons) Psychology, National College of Ireland – www.ncirl.ie
- BA Psychology, Maynooth University www.nuimaynooth.ie
- BA (Hons) Applied Social Studies in Social Care, Technological University Dublin [Blanchardstown] - www.tudublin.ie
* Two places reserved for BFEI Graduates Minimum 3 Merits including Psychology Module
** Five places reserved for BFEI Graduates
Alternatively this course also opens up a range of progression routes in the UK including:
- BA Counselling Studies and Psychology or BSc Psychology Accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), the UK equivalent of the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI). University of Wales Trinity St David and Swansea Metropolitan - www.smu.ac.uk.
- BA (Hons) Psychology or BA (Hons) Psychology and Sociology, Napier University, Edinburgh - www.napier.ac.uk
Check out the updated BFEI CAO Progression Pathways Chart with new progression options included for TCD, NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick. CAO data shows that many BFEI graduates from 2020/2021 secured excellent CAO offers.
- At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, exams, a Student Services fee and where applicable professional body registration fees. There are no tuition fees for EU students.