At BFEI located in Blackrock,Co.Dublin we offer a one year, QQI Level 5 Pre-Garda Studies course
Can you see yourself as a member of An Garda Síochána? Do you want to gain an insight into the real-life challenges faced by the Gardaí? Are you confident, have a positive attitude, good communication skills and enjoy working with people? Then an exciting and rewarding career in the Garda Síochána may be for you. This one year course provides an ideal foundation for those intending to pursue a career as a Garda by focusing on a number of areas that are of vital importance in the training and career of a Garda. Students will get an insight into the real life challenges faced by the Gardaí and will develop an understanding of how to deal with car crashes, court sessions and conflict resolution as well as gain an awareness of the needs of the community and vulnerable members of society. This approach supports the day to day life of operational Gardaí and will equip you with the knowledge and skills to embark on a successful career in this field.
What will I study?
The following modules are covered on the course:
- Legal Practice and Procedures
- Criminal Law
- Conflict Resolution
- First Aid Responder (FAR) awarded by (Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council) PHECC
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Exercise and Fitness
- Work Experience
- Word Processing
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) Courses Training:
- Fire Warden (Fire Safety and Fire Extinguisher Training)
- Breathing Apparatus
- Hazardous Substances
- Manual Handling and Patient Handling
Training Courses are delivered in conjunction with an external provider, currently the Emergency Services Training Institute and take place during term breaks.
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
Assessment and Certification
- This course is certified by QQI
- Assessment is based on a combination of assignments and exams.
- You will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468).
- Additional Training Option: Private Security Authority Ireland (PSAI) Security and Guarding Skills.
- Pre-hospital care courses are certified by the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) and delivered by PHECC recognised institutes and tutors.
- Training Courses are delivered in conjunction with an external provider, currently the Emergency Services Training Institute and take place during term breaks.
- As a graduate of this course, you will be in an advantageous position to successfully apply for entry to the Garda College in Templemore, subject to meeting the relevant qualification criteria.
If you want to get a degree, then you can apply through the CAO system for entry into courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BSc DNA & Forensic Analysis, Technological University Dublin [Tallaght] - www.tudublin.ie
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), LLB, South East Technological University [Carlow] – www.setu.ie
- BA (Hons) Criminal Justice Studies, South East Technological University [Waterford] – www.setu.ie
- BCL (Law and Criminology), Maynooth University – www.nuimaynooth.ie
- BA Forensic Investigation & Analysis, Atlantic Technological University [Sligo] - www.atu.ie
- BSc in Social Science, University College Dublin – www.ucd.ie
Check out more progression options by downloading the BFEI Progression Pathways Chart at www.bfei.ie