Sports Massage Therapies Course - Dublin
At BFEI, located in Blackrock village, Co.Dublin we offer a QQI Level 5, ITEC accredited Sports Massage Therapies course.
Are you interested in the treatment of muscular pain and injury? Would you like to develop your massage skills to a new level by learning advanced anatomical, physiological and pathological principles relevant to the application of Sports Massage? Do you see yourself working in leisure centres, with sports clubs, or with competitive athletes and teams?
This course offers you internationally recognised qualifications that will ensure you are educated to the highest industry standards so that you can take on this new and exciting career. It also offers you the potential to progress your studies to degree level.
Assessment and Certification
- This course is certified by QQI and ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council).
- After Year 1, you will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sports Recreation and Exercise (5M5146) and the ITEC Diploma in Sports Massage.
- ITEC apply a rigid set of standards governing attendance, learning and examinations.
- Evidence of Treatments (case studies) are required for ITEC qualifications.
- The completion and signing of disclaimers and consultation forms is required for ITEC certification.
- Examinations take place in April and May.
- You must have achieved 5 passes or 5 O6/ H7s or a combination of 5 O6/H7s or have achieved the LCA with a Merit profile, or have achieved a full relevant QQI Level 4 Award.
- Mature applicants (aged 21 and over) and other applicants without the formal entry requirements will be assessed individually for suitability.
What Will I Study?
You will study for the following qualifications:
ITEC Diploma in Sports Massage
- Functional Anatomy and Physiology
- Principles of Health and Fitness
- Principles of Soft Tissue Disfunction
- Subjective and Objective Assessment
- Sports Massage Techniques
Graduates may join many professional associations and obtain the requisite insurance cover for professional practice.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sports Recreation and Exercise (5M5146)
- Sport and Recreation Studies
- Exercise and Fitness
- Sports Anatomy and Physiology
- Body Massage and Figure Analysis
- Sports Exercise and Injury Preventation
- Work Experience
What Will I Do?
- You will get the opportunity to work with clients in an Open Clinic in BFEI.
- You will also be given the opportunity to complete Industry Training Courses such as Dry-Needling and Kinesio Taping.
- Career advice and help with CV preparation is provided by the Guidance and Career Service.
As a graduate of this course, you can pursue careers in a range of areas including:
- Sports Injuries Clinics
- Health & Wellbeing Centres
- Leisure Centres
- Remedial Massage Clinics
If you want to get a degree, then you can apply through the CAO system for entry to courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- Bachelor Degree of Science – Sports Science & Health*, Technological University Dublin [Tallaght] - www.tudublin.ie
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Strength & Conditioning or Sport & Exercise Science or Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Therapy, South East Technological University [Carlow] - www.setu.ie
- BEd (Hons) Physical Education,Sports Studies & Arts, University College Cork – www.ucc.ie
- Higher Certificate in Science - Physiology and Health Science, South East Technological University [Carlow] - www.setu.ie
* Leaving Certificate Mathematics is a pre-requisite
Check out more progression options by downloading the BFEI Progression Pathways Chart at www.bfei.ie
At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, exams, a Student Services fee and where applicable professional body registration fees. There are no tuition fees for EU students.
Students will be required to purchase certain items including a uniform and product kit.