Learn how to fuse the technical and the creative aspects of game development by combining the skill of art and design (storyboarding, character development and drawing) with computing (3D, coding and graphics). This will provide you with a well-rounded foundation to further your game development career either at degree level, or follow an indie path.
Click on the banner to watch course video.
Assessment and Certification
This course is certified by QQI. Assessment is based on a combination of project work submitted during the year and exams. Learners who successfully complete all 8 subjects will be awarded a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Creative Media (5M5048).
Is This Course For You?
Have you ever played a game and thought “I could have created a better game”? Do you have a flair for drawing and sketching? On this course you will learn how to take the design and software tools of game design to create new gaming experiences. We believe the key to becoming a successful games designer is not just having the skills but having the knowledge of how to use creative and technical skills together.
One of the following:
- Leaving Certificate (LC Established, LCVP, LCA or equivalent
- A Full Level 4 QQI/FETAC Award (or equivalent)
- Mature Applicants (aged 21 or over - appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
What Will I Study?
- Understand gaming concepts
- Conceptualise and storyboard a game
- Apply creative design principles
- Design, build and program games
- Create assets for use on multiple platforms
- Create a basic 3D game
- Animate basic 3D Models
What Will I Do?
- Field Trips and participation in the Annual Design Exhibition
- In conjunction with an external Government agency FIT (Fast Track into Information Technology, you will get the opportunity to do a practice interview with industry specialists.
- Career advice, help with CV preparation and LinkedIn profile is provided by the Guidance and Career Service
As a graduate of the course, you can pursue careers in a range of areas including:
- Games Development
- 3D Design
- Mobile Technologies
- & many more
The following degree progression options are available through the CAO system for entry into courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme such as:
- BA in Games Design Technological University Dublin [City] - www.tudublin.ie
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Development Institute of Technology Carlow - www.itcarlow.ie
- BSc (Hons) Games Art & Design Limerick Institute of Technology – Clonmel www.lit.ie
- BSc (Hons) Computing in Games Development Institute of Technology Dundalk – www.dkit.ie
Check out the updated BFEI CAO Progression Pathways Chart with new progression options included for TCD, NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick.
At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, exams, a Student Services fee and where applicable professional body registration fees. There are no tuition fees for EU students.
Students will be required to purchase certain items including a uniform and product kits